Statement of Purpose
Summary of Achievements
- Wilding pines and willows eradication on Department of Conservation (DOC) reserves along the river margins
- Planting of indigenous species along the river margins
- Formed a good working relationship with DOC, Turangi/Taupo
- Promoting Fishing Etiquette on the River
- Representative appointed to the Taupo Fishery Advisory Committee
- Developing and supervising completion of the Tongariro River Trail
- Participating in the Lake Level consent process and providing to Mighty River Power and alternative operating regime to achieve the same results for Mighty River Power.
- Initiating and funding for a PhD Study to provide a better understanding of the food chain
- A proactive Didymo supportive campaign.
- Carp Farm community awareness resulting in withdrawal of the application
- Developed the Tongariro River Integrated Catchment Management Plan which has been accepted by Waikato Regional Council Taupo zone committee and Council’s Integrated Catchment Committee.
- Developed a good working relationship with Waikato Regional Council regarding the river management.
- Funding of over $450,000 raised towards these and other activities over the years of our existence.